Fly fishing in Skipton, North Yorkshire
Open: 1 April - 31 October 2022
Take a step out of the rigours of day to day life and unwind at the waterside of our stunning 24 acre lake. Whether you are an expert angler and know a Hares-Ear from a Hawthorne or a total beginner, we are ready to cater to all your possible needs. Our fantastic range of boats and bank fishing locations make us an ideal choice for a wonderful day out with family or friends.
INTRODUCTION TO FISHING
A reel warm welcome . . .
As a proud family run business, we are delighted that our new fishing offer will be headed-up by Roddy Bannister, the grandson of Michael Bannister (Owner and Chairman of The Coniston Hotel Country Estate & Spa), and a keen fisherman at heart. Roddy looks forward to instilling that Coniston sense of community, welcoming back some old friends and new faces.
FISHING ON THE ESTATE
Take to the lake
The lake is stocked regularly with hard fighting rainbow trout averaging over 2lbs and has a good population of wild brown trout which spawn in the feeder streams across the Coniston Estate. An abundance of fly life throughout the lake and the fantastic PH levels characteristic of this area, combine to allow the Coniston lake to produce some fantastic sport and quality fish.
FACILITIES & TARIFFS
Two new "hot-spots” have been constructed and offer safer, easier and more advantageous access to some of the best fish catching areas on the lake. Our fleet of boats, have undergone a winter makeover and are, without a doubt, the most effective way of reaching areas where one would hope to tangle with our trout. These boats lend themselves well to the traditional loch-style fishing that is so effective on this fishery. We advise that all fisherman hiring a boat wear a life preserver, the hotel has a supply of these upon request at no charge.
- The generally adopted tackle set up is a rod between 9ft and 10ft casting a line between 5wt and 8wt, with a floating or Midge tip line.
- When selecting the all important fly we recommend tailoring your approach to suit the conditions and seasons.
- However, if you need somewhere to start or if all else fails, there are a great many tried and tested patterns that will often produce good results. Hoppers, Buzzers, nymphs such as Damsels, Hares ears and Princes nearly always work well.
- The Bannister family tactic that has been honed over many seasons, consists of a gently retrieved midge tip line, a long leader and three bushy hackled wets.
- Full day (8:30 - 16:30) | Bank £25:00 | With Boat £40:00
- Half day (morning 08:30 - 12:30 | afternoon 12:30 - 16:30) | Bank £15:00 | With Boat £30:00
- Evening (16:30 - 19:30) - £15:00
- Boat hire - £15 (£10 with Membership)
- Rod hire - £10
- Senior (over 60 years) - £300
- Junior (under 21)- £250
- Adult - £350
Loyalty cards available rent five boats receive a free boat on your sixth trip.
Fishing at other destinations across Yorkshire and Lancashire can be arranged for hotel guests with prior notice on a day ticket basis. please enquire before your stay.
Local fishing includes:
Local still waters - Malham Tarn, Coniston, stocks reservoir, Fewston and Swinsty reservoirs, Winterburn Reservoir, Kilnsey Park, Raygill fishery.
Local trout rivers - River Aire, River Wharfe, River Skirfare, River Ribble, River Eden, River Nidd, River Swale, Twiss and Doe.
Local Salmon and Sea trout fishing - River Lune, River Ribble, River Hodder, River Ure, River Eden.